What Size Breaker For 120 Volt Water Heater: WHAT SIZE BREAKER DO I NEED FOR A 120V WATER HEATER?


Answer ( 1 )


    What Size Breaker For 120 Volt Water Heater: WHAT SIZE BREAKER DO I NEED FOR A 120V WATER HEATER?

    Are you in the process of installing a 120-volt water heater, but not sure what size breaker to use? Don’t worry – it’s a common question! Choosing the right size breaker is essential for ensuring your water heater operates safely and efficiently. In this blog post, we’ll cover everything you need to know about selecting the appropriate breaker for your 120-volt water heater. So let’s dive in and find out what size breaker you need!

    What is a Water Heater and How Does It Work?

    A water heater is a device that uses water to produce heat. There are many types of water heaters, but all work in the same way. The heated water enters the tank, and then circulates around the tank throughout the heating element. This process heats up the water and turns it into steam.

    Types of Breaker Switches

    There are three main types of breaker switches: manual, automatic, and fused. Manual breakers can be operated by hand, while automatic and fuse breakers must be operated by an electrician.

    Manual breakers are the most common type and must be operated by hand. They have a lever or knob that allows the user to turn the switch on and off. Automatic breakers are activated when the power is turned on and automatically shut off after a set amount of time, usually 10 minutes. Fused breakers have a safety feature that prevents them from being turned off accidentally. When the power is first turned on, the breaker will trip and need to be reset by an electrician.

    What Size Breaker Do I need for My Water Heater?

    If you have a volt water heater, you will need a breaker size appropriate for the model of water heater. If you do not know your water heater’s model number, please click here to find out. The following are some common breaker sizes for volt water heaters:

    • GFCI 30 amp breaker: For most 30 amp GFCI breakers, this will be the correct size.

    • GFCI 50 amp breaker: If your water heater has a 50 amp GFCI outlet, then you will need a 50 amp breaker.

    • 110 volt outlets: Most standard 110 volt outlets can handle a 3 prong (type A) or 4 prong (type B) plug.


    To ensure that your water heater is safe to use, you will need to determine the size breaker needed for it. If you do not have the proper size breaker, your water heater could potentially spark and start a fire. To find out which size breaker you need, first measure the distance from the outlet box on your water heater to the main electricity panel in your home. You can then locate the appropriate size breaker online or by calling an electrician.

Leave an answer